Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Podcasts: A Perfectionist's Nightmare

       Recently in our Instructional Technology Integration class, we've learned how to use GarageBand to make a Podcast. Not some home-grown, back of the woods Podcast, but a bonafide Podcast equipped with music, voice recordings and even pictures. After learning all of the ins and outs for creating said Podcast, I was worried it would be a perfectionist's nightmare. I think it's fairly safe to say that most people who enter the teaching field (myself included) tend to exhibit type-A tendencies, so after a quick pep-talk, I prepared to tackle the beast that was our Podcast assignment. 
       To my surprise and delight, creating a Podcast was hardly a perfectionist's nightmare, but rather a Spanish teacher's dream. Using one single program I was able to incorporate Spanish music ("La Camisa Negra" by Juanes, anyone?), pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary AND assessment. Even better, if I were to assign said Podcast to my students, they would be able to hear correct pronunciation and even practice speaking Spanish at home. Imagine the possibilities.
       I can honestly say that as soon as I finished creating my first Podcast, I was ready to get started on the next... Unfortunately lesson plans, research papers and reading for five other grad school classes also need my attention. Even though I couldn't begin my next Podcast creation right away, it's safe to say that I see myself utilizing this technology when I enter the teaching field. 
       ¡Hasta la próxima vez! 

No comments:

Post a Comment